Go back to the blessed teacher who gave you the concept of “horizontal” vs. “vertical” by a sweeping gesture of his hand: across (Horizontal) and up and down (Vertical). In the case of wallbeds, the difference between Horizontal and Vertical Wallbeds can be viewed here: Horizontal Wallbeds and here: Vertical Wallbeds
- Room: Which room will you put it in? We have installed horizontal wallbeds in wide hallways!
- Space: What is the most practical choice you can make with the space available?
- Who: For the most part, who is going to use the bed?
You need to know that a minimum clearance is required in both width and height. So after you measure your space, check the numbers against our charts: The Great American Wallbed Co.
NOTE: If you are in doubt about your abilities to read a tape measure (believe me, you are NOT alone), have a rep from the Wallbed/Murphy Bed company come over and help you. Better yet, ask them to send their Designer* to give you additional creative ideas and understanding of the hidden treasures in your room.
The space available will determine what you can have, not necessarily what you want… (Yes, there are still some absolutes in the world)…again, a creative mind, like a Designer, can be of great help, usually offered at no extra cost!
- Finally, WHO will be using this bed? If it is a child, I recommend a Horizontal Wallbed. It is much simpler to open and close. The same recommendation goes for a shorter adult or an aging person: to make opening and closing as easy as possible.
- If two people are sleeping in the bed at the same time, one will be on the inside against the wall in a Horizontal Wallbed. If that person has to get up in the middle of the night, well, that may cause a stir…
- The Vertical Wallbed is more flexible, having access on either side and for that reason seems to be the most popular model.
Either way you get a bedroom in as little as 16 inches of floor space (18 for a Vertical Wallbed and 26 inches if you choose our Library Bed model.) One important note: The Pivoting Library Bed is ONLY available in Vertical.
*Our Designer is Anne; she can be contacted at email@example.com